Copied linen sleeveless shirt
This is my first attempt at copying a pattern from an item of clothing I already own and I'm very pleased with the result. The item in question was a lovely slate blue silk dress from The White Company - it's fairly fitted around the shoulders and bust and then swings out into a loose, drapey body and skirt. It's very comfortable on hot days, and even though it's a loose style still looks quite put-together rather than too much like a nightie.
I would like to own several but it was a miraculous sale purchase - I cannot currently afford to fill my wardrobe with stuff from the White Company. (If I had a load of White Company stuff I am sure I would achieve incredible levels of serenity, although my productivity would decline - I would not be able to work, only drink herbal tea while looking out of the window, or drink San Pellegrino while sitting on a pile of cushions on the grass, depending on the weather.)
So naturally I decided to DIY it, having a go at a shorter top version instead of the full-length dress in case it went completely awry. I didn't do anything special to copy the pattern - just drew round the bits I could draw round and measured the bits I couldn't.
The beautiful ikat linen is from Ditto Fabrics. I can sometimes be a bit slapdash about preparing fabrics before cutting but this time, as it was such nice quality, I scrupulously followed the lady from Ditto's advice (I must ask her name) and pre-washed on cold. She also give me a good tip about making sure the grainline was straight after washing it, otherwise the pattern might wander off at an angle. You just sort of stretch it gently back into line.
I did flat-felled seams on all of it and used fairly narrow self-made binding on the armholes so it would look consistent. I've already worn this top three times since making it and it fits really well - I think we're heading into autumn now but I know I'm going to make more of these for next summer, plus a dress version hopefully!