Sewaholic Robson Coat
I'm tremendously proud of this coat - it's definitely the most complex thing I've made and took me about twice as long as anything else I've ever done.
And it's so useful!! Might be the most practical thing I've made too - I was really in need of a lightweight coat.
It's Sewaholic's Robson Coat. I found the pattern instructions very clear. Amazingly I didn't really have any actual problems in the construction, it just took a long time. The size 14 fit fine with no alterations - Sewaholic patterns are designed for a smaller bust, larger hip figure which suits me well.
I did add a lining, following these excellent, thorough and extremely helpful instructions. This did mean I needed a lot more bias binding for the seam finishing, but I think even if I'd only used it on the seams it tells you to I would have needed more than suggested. Buy extra!
The fabric is a cotton twill from Fabric Inspirations which turned out to be the perfect weight. I did spend some time looking for a waterproof fabric but couldn't find much I liked that wasn't rather expensive for a pattern I hadn't tried before.
Fabric Inspirations has the same twill in loads of colours. It's a very classic looking pattern so I went for a very classic beige colour; although I did briefly consider the mustard-y 'old gold' twill I decided beige would go with more. To make up for it the lining (cheap Fabric Land synthetic) is v. shiny and gold.
I love all the little finishing touches like sleeve & shoulder tabs, the pockets, the back storm flap. One of the shoulder flaps at the front doesn't sit quite right unless I arrange the collar carefully - think it may be a cutting error on my part, a bit of extra length sneaking in, as the other one is fine.
Now I've made this I've already seen about two more coat patterns I want to try. But I don't need any more coats. And I don't have room in the hall cupboard for any more coats. This may be a problem.