Cowboy Colette Negroni
This was a present for Harry, intended to match his flashy cream and gold guitar. I altered the Colette Patterns Negroni shirt pattern, which I’ve made quite a few of, to have a cowboy-style yoke at the front. The main fabric is just a basic polycotton, and then after a bit of experimenting I sewed the thin gold braid trim on by hand.
He particularly wanted very baggy sleeves, which the pattern had anyway, but I had to shorten the sleeve length and add a bit more room in the shoulders.
For the roses, I drew the design myself and made a stencil out of cardboard, then used gold fabric paint. I don’t really know how much it will stand up to washing but it’s OK so far and I have a whole pot left should it require a touch up!
I’m not sure this shirt is in the best of taste to be honest, especially the buttons, but sometimes that’s what the occasion calls for.
I made this more than a year ago and am just writing about it now. With hindsight, the yoke does not come far enough down and the seam attaching it to the lower body does not have a great finish - there’s quite a lot of wrinkling. Also, now that I have had a go at some hand embroidery I think I could probably embroider on top of the paint for a more long-lasting embellishment - but really if I was going to do that I might as well make a whole new shirt, as I think I could get a much better finish overall.